Guelph CHC is committed to protecting the privacy and confidentiality of our clients, staff, students and volunteers. The information that we collect is essential for us to provide the best possible care and effectively manage our programs and services.
Our privacy program is designed to regulate how we collect, use, disclose, retain, securely destroy and safeguard personal information.
Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Health Information
Our organization is a Health Information Custodian, which means that we must follow privacy regulations guided by Ontario’s Personal Health Information and Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA)
As a health information custodian, we collect information directly from you or from the person acting on your behalf (i.e. substitute decision maker). Occasionally, we may collect information about you from other sources, if permitted by law (e.g. hospitals or specialists involved in your care).
We may use and disclose your personal health information to:
- Treat and care for you alongside other health care providers involved in your care
- Enable you to participate in our programs and services
- Inform and work with funding agencies such as the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and Local Health Integration Networks for the purpose of health system management
- Conduct quality improvement activities, research or guide the planning of our services
- Fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law (e.g. infectious disease reporting, risk management etc.)
Guelph CHC will:
- Be responsible for protecting information under its control and implementing safeguards that protect against theft, loss, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying use or changes to information
- Identify purposes for collecting information and limit this collection to that which is necessary
- Obtain your consent before we use or disclose information for purposes other than that for which it was collected unless required by law
- Keep your personal information as accurate, complete and up-to-date as possible. We ask that you tell us when your personal information changes
- Retain records for the length of time indicated in the CHC’s record retention policy
- Provide you with access to your information, with some exceptions, upon request
- Make available Guelph CHC’s privacy policies and procedures upon request and investigate complaints related to compliance with these guidelines
You may challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information in your record and make a request to change or correct information. You have the right to challenge our compliance with this policy.
If you have questions, comments or complaints, please contact our Privacy Officer:
If you are not satisfied with the response you may contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner:
2 Bloor St. E. Toronto, ON, M4W 1A8